Smart Interconnected Infrastructures for Security and Protection
Funding Program: Single RTDI State Aid Action
Start date: 25/7/2018
End date: 24/1/2021
Total Cost: 678.239 €
Role in the Project: Project partner/ WP leader
Aim & Objectives: The aim of this project is to develop “DESMOS”, a novel framework for the intelligent interconnection of smart infrastructures, mobile and wearable devices and apps for the provision of a secure environment for citizens, especially for visitors and tourists.
The platform will promote the collaboration between people and devices for protecting tourists, supporting timely reporting of incidents, adaptation of the interconnected environments in case of emergency and the provision of assistance by empowering local authorities and volunteers.
The project sets the following high-level objectives:
- Fast, timely and accurate notifications in case of emergencies (e.g. allergies, medical incidents, etc.), sending at the same time all contextual information needed to help authorities coordinate and assist people, protecting the privacy of the monitored people.
- Anonymous reporting of incidents using crowdsourcing, with a special focus on incidents involving tourists, e.g. thefts.
- Adaptability of services, devices and people to respond to incidents and protect citizens/tourists.
In order to realize the abovementioned objectives, the platform will follow a systematic approach for interconnecting people, services and devices using:
- Applications in mobile and wearable devices that will be used by:
- Volunteers, who will be timely informed for incidents happening nearby, providing at the same time contextual information about the type of help needed, the current situation and suggestions on how to react.
- Tourists, who will be able to connect with volunteers and services of the visited area, increasing the feeling of safety and promoting their participation in the safe ecosystem of people and devices.
- Smart Spots across the area (e.g. municipality) that will be able to listen for reports and requests for help and further propagate them in the local intelligent network, aiming at finding the best solution to mitigate the emergency situation.
- Fusion and interpretation of heterogeneous events and information through semantic reasoning and decision making for supporting real-time alerts and notification of responsible entities.